Disability support worker
Position Description table of contents
Key result area/main responsibilities………………………………..4
Typical qualifications and experience………………………………..5
Key behavioural indicators………………………………………………..6
Title: Disability Support Worker
Reports to: Supervisor
Employment conditions: Casual
Modern award- ‘social, communication, home care and disability services industrial award.
SCHADS AWARD: $28 to $32 per hour incl superannuation
As apart of a team, carry out lawful duties, directions (as per original duty roster), and group/ program/ individual activities aimed at supporting and assisting persons with a disability in their living and/ or community environment. Staff are also expected to present a positive and professional image of the association when interacting with clients, family members, advocates, service providers, funding bodies and the general community.
to support people living in their own homes in their day to day living, ensuring that they have maximum opportunity for developing valued and valuing lifestyles. Support workers will be apparent that their professional engagement with clients is concerned with generating quality personal relationships, which are supportive and life-enhancing. They will provide opportunities for choice, self-advocacy and participant in matters relating to the homes as well as facilitating access to community service and facilities, to support the client with all aspects of every-day living-personal care, washing, cleaning, laundry, preparing and cooking meals and shopping.
key result area/primary responsibilities
1. Carry out designated duties/tasks as per the service duty roster, and Other reasonable duties as instructed by the employer from time to time
2. To perform personal care duties for individual clients as specified in the personal care profile including (but not limited to):
Showering and bathing
Dressing and grooming
Assisting individual clients with eating their meals
Providing clients with additional support when required, such as gastronomy feeding when appropriate training has been submitted.
Assist with clients physical and mobility requirements in accordance with training provided and the relevant workplace health and safety standard, including transferring of clients.
To provide other support to individual clients as required such as:
Personal administration, shopping for and with clients, banking and paying bills (where applicable)
Supervision of clients medication requirements
Washing and ironing of own clothes
Ensuring that bathing area and clients appliances are kept in a clean condition
Performing household duties and providing the house is clean and tidy
Tidying of clients rooms
Identifying the need for, and supporting client to attend medical/therapist appointments
Transport as required
3. Facilitate community inclusion and participation, dependant on individual needs, abilities and preferences, and support clients to establish and maintain relationships and interests through access to the community activities, venues and services.
4. Carry out as Instructed and/or designated- And demonstrate initiative- Task and activities aimed at meeting the clients personal/living community needs, team objectives and/or program goals which is consistent with Beyond Disability Supports’ model of practice
5. Carry out and promote positive routines duties activities in the cooperative in respectful and flexible manner, which are meaningful and purposeful to the individual
6. Encourage positive and socially appropriate behaviour and effectively manage challenge behaviour.
7. Promote empowerment and the right choice for all people in need of support within the community
8. Abide by the service communication, reporting and client/program progress practices and procedures, by maintaining appropriate clients records. And work with clients, family members and other stakeholders in a collaborative and supportive manner.
9. Respond to a crisis within specified guidelines (i.e. disability services manual, code of conduct, policies and procedures, service duty roster), and seek assistance to situations outside of specified instructions
10. Participate in developing monitoring individual program plans and be accountable for their outcomes.
11. When required, support and offer assistance to disability support workers (level 2)
12. When needed and/or requested by your supervisor, be involved in on the job training and/or orientation of new staff
13. To be aware of safe working condition and implement secure working practises in all work areas and report potential hazards, incidents and concerns in a professional and timely manner.
14. Maintain current knowledge and understanding of the relevant organisational and departmental policies, procedures and guidelines
15. To embrace change in line with principles of continuous improvement and play an active role in the future developing and direction of Beyond Disability Supports.
Typical qualifications and experience
1. Possess and demonstrate sound disability (or allied health/welfare/education field) experience, knowledge and or/ training relevant to the position.
2. Current NSW Drivers licence (essential)
3. Current senior first aid certificate (necessary)
4. Current CCYP employment suitability card (necessary)
5. Compulsory third-party insurance on the private vehicle (to be used for work purposes)
6. Certificate 3 in disability studies or related fields (essential)
7. General awareness of health and safety issues
8. A minimum of one-year driving experience and a full driving licence
Key behavioural indicators
1. Demonstrating leadership to achieve the vision
2. Showing a genuine personal commitment for striving towards continues organisational improvement.
3. Listening and responding to a client/service needs within corporate guidelines
4. Ability to handle stressful and adverse situations
5. Contribute openly and with confidence with other team members, respectfully and sensitively manner.
6. Recognising internal feedback (be it positive or negative) as an opportunity for growth.
7. Sharing a sense of accountability and responsibility
8. Demonstrating a genuine interest in personal and professional development, in line with Beyond Disability Supports’ mission.
1. Demonstrated skills supporting and caring for adults with a complex support need e.g. challenging behaviours, complex medical supports
2. Demonstrated ability to establish a professional working relationship with clients that is supportive, encouraging and challenging.
3. Demonstrated ability and skill to work within a lifestyle planning process for persons with a disability
4. Demonstrate the ability to work autonomously and using initiative within parameters of Beyond Disability Supports’ policy and procedures
5. Demonstrated ability to perform all physical requirements of the position.
6. Possess well-developed written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills, including the conflict resolution, negotiation, problem-solving, and the ability to communicate effectively as a member of a team. (the team may consist of other disability support workers and the coordinator, families, clients)
7. Ability and willingness to work in a diverse range of settings including but not limited to-a person’s home or place of residence, other services, community groups and different community settings.
8. Possession of or willing to obtain the following within the 3-month probation period.
Senior first aid
Undergo criminal history screening check
Commission for children and young people employment suitability notice (desirable)
Help spread the good news that Rhema Central Coast broadcasts by adding a badge or link to your website. Putting a banner or weblink on your website pointing to the Rhema website also helps our search engine rankings.
Simply copy the code next to the banner you would like into your page (some knowledge of html is required to do this).
Welcome to the Rhema Central Coast Member Rewards program!
Here at Rhema Central Coast, we really appreciate those people who partner with this ministry by being financial members. That’s you! And we’re always looking for ways to say “thank you”!
So all members now receive a Member Card, which is your key to our latest way of thanking you.
This card identifies you as a financial member of Rhema Central Coast, and it gives you access to special offers and discounts.
We have started approaching local businesses to see what they will offer our members. A few have already jumped at the idea and you’ll find their offers on this page. Others are keen, and we’re in the process of negotiating with them the best deals we can for you.
And there’s a stack of other businesses we’re contacting, so the number and range of offers will continue to grow. We’ll keep you informed about new businesses and offers as they come on board through our quarterly newsletters, and through this page.
So grab your card, visit the businesses, and take advantage of these special offers. And let them know you appreciate them supporting your radio station, Rhema Central Coast, in this way.
Member Rewards! Just another benefit of your membership, and another way we can thank you for your support!
And if you have a business that would like to become part of the program, contact our General manager Rick Broome and have a chat.
Bluewater Dental Clinic
Suite H, 154-156 Pacific Hwy, Tuggerah (On Tuggerah straight. Upstairs behind Supercheap Auto)
Tuggerah: 4350 9333, Lake Haven: 4392 6466
Whether in everyday life or at a special occasion, you want to be able to proudly show off your smile without a second thought. At Bluewater Dental Central Coast our goal is to provide dental care in the most supportive and caring manner possible. We want you to feel comfortable in visiting our dental practice for your regular preventative treatment or whenever a dental problem occurs.
50% off one annual check-up and clean —including a free home care kit (Toothbrush, Toothpaste, Mouth Rinse, Floss)
Free Time Finance
0428 050 705 or 4341 8445
Rod has over 25 years experience in Mortgage/Banking/Finance. Rod specializes in tailoring financial solutions to meet your immediate and future needs. With access to Loan products from various Banks & Lenders, we arrange Home Loans for the purchase of homes, units, land and for financing renovations and extensions. In addition, vehicle leasing, car loans, personal loans, business and commercial finance.
We undertake unique Loans analysis and assessment to refinance or restructure your existing loans, to address your financial goals.
Introductory Offer – Free Housing Loan Assessment & Analysis. Following the successful completion of approved Housing Loans, *eligible applicants will receive a gift card and a donation will be made to Rhema FM Central Coast.
*Conditions apply for eligibility.
Ken Duncan Gallery
414 The Entrance Road, Erina Heights
The Ken Duncan Gallery is an expansive, purpose-built facility and one of the largest privately owned photographic galleries in Australia. Set amidst a beautiful blend of natural bush and landscaped gardens, the Gallery features spacious viewing rooms, an intimate 45-seat theatre presenting spectacular audio-visual presentations, an ultra modern café, plenty of on-site parking and disabled access to all areas.
15% off gallery-wide (offer not valid with any other offers)
Little Coasties Kindergarten
386 Avoca Drive, Green Point
Little Coasties Kindergarten is an independently owned and operated Child Care Centre. Licensed to care for 46 children per day from 6 weeks to 6 years of age. We have two bright and happy classrooms, the Seashells Room for 0 years to 3 years and the Sandcastle Room for 3 years to 6 years.
The annual administration fee will be waived for the first year for each child.
The Total Party Shop
5/162 The Entrance Rd, Erina
Kim & Craig Evans
The place to visit for all your Party Supplies. Providing everything for every occasion from Kids Birthday Parties, to a Wedding, or Business function.
10% off all purchases.
0411 497 081
Be blessed, revitalised and renewed by a beautiful treatment of your choice. Like a facial using our 100% natural Australian skincare range. Or an aromatherapy massage or scalp treatment using essential oils. Or how about an organic spray tan? We’re located in a serene, private salon in Narara.
10% off all treatments.
Whitey’s Rite Price Tyres
Unit 1 & 2/ 1 Tumbi Creek Rd, Tumbi Umbi
The right tyres at the right price. Leading brands and high-quality generic alternatives. We also have 2nd hand tyres.
5% off all purchases.
Find a local expert
In the market for a product or service? Consider our local experts! Each of these Central Coast businesses support our community by sponsoring 94.9 Rhema Central Coast!
The best mix of positive music and inspiring teaching on the Central Coast. Tune in on 94.9 FM.
The making of your Will is one of the most important acts in your life. It communicates clearly the blessing you plan to pass on to your family and others who have been significant in your life.
Once you have made adequate financial provision for your loved ones, you may like to leave a lasting expression of your Christian faith through a bequest to Rhema FM Central Coast.
Through a bequest, you will enable the next generation to be blessed through the ongoing ministry of Rhema Central Coast.
If you'd like to talk to our General Manger, Rick Broome, about this, please phone on 02 4367 4042